Monday

Give it Up, Take it Back - Journey for 2012

Two of the books I read in 2011 made me think.  The first was:  "Give it Up! My year of Learning to Live Better with Less" by Mary Carlomagno.  The 1 liner premise is basically - give up something each month and see what you learn from it.  The second book I am still reading.  It's called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  The 1 liner that I got from it was: You have good things - spouse, kids, job etc but you find yourself not taking the time to truly appreciate what you have.

I thought that in 2012 I would combine a little bit of both ideas by giving something up each month and taking something on each month.  Hopefully I will learn to live with less and appreciate it.  ;)

For January I thought I'd start off with an easy? one to give up.  I am giving up shopping.  I love to shop.  Clothes are a huge vice of mine.  I do like my jeans and t-shirts.  Most recently I've moved to work wear.  This month I want to focus on only shopping for necessities: gas, food, bills.  I'm cutting out eating out on Friday for lunch, Tim Horton's, Starbucks, Ricki's, Cleo, the Shoe Company, Scrapbook supplies, Kindle books, junk jewelry and more.  The only reason I thought it might be easy is that its January.  Who has money to shop after Christmas anyway?  LOL

For the "Take it Back" part I am going to take care of me.  This month its sleep.  For the past few weeks I've been going on 5-6 hours of sleep a night and I know that's not enough.  I'm crabbier, I'm tired, my energy level is in the dumps and I have little motivation to take anything new on...even if I had an original idea break through the fog.  For this month I am going to push to get 7-8 hours of sleep for as many nights as I can make it happen.

Last night was night 1 - I made just shy of 8 hours.  Of course I was left feeling exhausted all day. My body is just not used to me sleeping a regular amount of time and it wanted more.  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment