Thursday

San Francisco - Day 5

After far too much walking lately, I decided that this day would be a lazy day.  I drifted in and out of sleep for a while finally hauling myself out of bed around 8 (yes that's sleeping in).  I made myself some mocha and had a yogurt.

By 9:30am I was at Pier 39 again.  The first time we were there we didn't take the time to look into all the shops so I wanted another look.  Since the shops didn't open until 10am I spent some time watching the sea lions push each other around.    They were a lot feistier than last time and were doing a lot of barking and grunting.

I then wandered through and window shopped to decide what to see when the shops opened.  Saw this outside of Bubba Gump's restaurant:


Because life is like a box of chocolates....

















Found some funny greeting cards, some pens from the Left Handed store and some weird socks.  I stopped for lunch at a casual hot dog place (Hook & Crook) and read by book for a while.

After lunch I made by way back to the hotel - stopping at a candy store on the way (It's Sweet) to get some headphones for my son (half price!).  Had a great nap but woke up all confused.  :)  

Once DH got back we caught a bus into the Cow Hollow area for our anniversary supper at Betelnut.  Cow Hollow seems to be 80% inhabited by women.  All the stores are beauty parlors, organic grocers, dog groomers and yoga/pilates studios.  Very odd to see so many woman walking dogs with no guys anywhere around.

I started off with a drink whose name I forget but it had strawberries and basil in it.


It did not taste very good.  :)
















Instead of having a heavy meal we decide to share a few appetizers so we each enjoyed 1 skewer of satay, half a green onion cake, a couple potstickers, some green beans and some rice.  The green beans were fabulous - they were Szechwan green beans.  Very crisp and very tasty.




















It was only a half hour walk from our hotel so we decided to walk back.  We walked along union street and decided to turn back toward our hotel at Lombard Street.   Well there is a reason that Lombard street is so steep on the Wharf side...it's because on the other side there is a giant hill to climb up.  Climb we did - so glad I wore boots with heels on them.  LOL  DH took a great picture of the slant:



Once we reached the summit though we got to walk back down the hill on the twisty famous Lombard street side which was fun.


























Finally we decided all that walking justified dessert so we walked back over to Ghirardelli Square to the Ghiradelli Ice Cream shop to have a hot fudge sundae with crushed almonds, whipped cream and of course, a cherry on top.

The chocolate sauce was heavenly....


















Grand total steps for my "lazy" day ended up being ~16200.

No comments:

Post a Comment